- Who are you and where are you from?
I’m Phoebe, originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, have now lived in Seattle for over 2 years!
- How did you become interested in Astronomy?
I became interested in astronomy/astrophysics when I was an undergrad majoring in physics. I had known for years that I wanted to be a physicist, but I didn’t know what part of physics I wanted to study. I started doing research and finally came upon astrophysics and loved it. Studying the universe in its entirety is what I realized interested me most.
- If you’re an astronomer (grad/post-doc/faculty), what do you study?
I’m a grad student studying theoretical cosmology. Specifically the physics of the intergalactic medium, the particle soup between galaxies. It can tell us about how the universe evolved!
- What’s the coolest thing (not literal) in the Universe?
Dark energy! We know so little about it, yet it’s causing the universe to accelerate in its expansion! Also shout-out to the cosmic microwave background, photons that have been streaming through the universe since the epoch of recombination.
- What’s the coolest thing outside of your field?
Within physics: quantum mechanics. The way stuff behaves is way stranger than I could have ever imagined. Outside of physics: biology and neuroscience. There is so much left to learn about life and ourselves.
- What is your favorite non-astronomy hobby?
Playing music, hiking, paddle-boarding, surfing, running, fashion, too many to mention!
- Is there anything else you’d like the public to know about you?
I went to performing arts high school. I always knew I would study science though. Don’t be afraid to pursue everything that interests you!